Sunday, March 13, 2005

TsunaMe

Internet is few and far between in these parts. I've also been running around between camps in tuktuks and offices and buying supplies-It's been nonstop minimum 14 hour days of hard work in the hot hot sun, no days off. Too long between posts, thank u for your patience.

On the way out of Colombo, heading south, the devastation began. I hadn't actually seen any of it in the urban bubble, and my hair stood.The driver told me you could never see the sea from this part of Galle road before. Houses ripped in half. Boats ripped in half. Trains ripped in half. Rubble everywhere. It's surreal, as the sea, the beach, and the people are all so beautiful, and it's bizarre seeing all this beauty covered in rubble. The firstcamp we brought supplies to, I had tofight the tears welling up in my eyes,as I squatted intheir tents and they brought me tea. I couldn'tbelieve howmuch these people needed, we were caught in a brawl for eggs and mosquito nets.This is hard work, real work.As the rain poured down, I put the biggest smile as i possibly couild on my face, with a million littl eyes looking my way.

Day 1in Matara- we visited all the IOM camps. I had a translator. It was insane- being in a totally new place and having to go so deep in to these peoples lives so soon, askingthem: Do yopu feel safe here?Do you know when you are leaving? Whatdo you neeed? Who do you ask when you need something? Not to mention the answers. THat afternoon, I found myself at a gov't offive,in a meeting in a boardroomw/ UNICEF, UNHCR,Save the children...and I thought tomyself- how did I get here?

There is somuch more,i cannot even begin here. Running out of time......

All I can say is that I've never worked this hard in my life, I'm honored to be here- they need an immense amount of help. They need things that we wouldn'tthnk twice of needing, and are actually quite easily gottenby peoplelike u and me,with a $4 day translator, a tuktuk, and some wits.

If any of you can get on a plane, please come and help me.
Please check subaud.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home