Hampi Hampi
Before I left for Hampi, I stopped by sk8goa. Met an english dude who opened a skate park in Goa. Wierd, I thought, and he said I should stpo by for a look. Crazy! A big pool, huge ramps. Tibetan prayer flags everywhere. Half israeli, half italian pubescent boys in sarongs, doing mad moves in this pool, while their yogi parents who got stuck in goa 20 years ago, beside old indians clapping, "Breakin the Law" blasting on big, shitty, too much treble speakers. It was the most peculiar and most harmonious mix of people I've ever seen. U.N. should have a visit, and see how it should be done.
Here in Hampi, it reminds me of Joshua tree, in fact, the rocks are almost identical, as if a big hand has just balanced them, one on top of the other, but instead of a desert, the ground below is gren and lush. The all night bus ride here found me in roadside chai shops in the middle of the night, or peeing in the darkest of fields. To get here, we walked down these huge steps to the river, and climbed into a little wicker boat, bottom coated in tar, and paddled across, going in circles like in those teacup rides at the carnival. Hiking among the rocks, you find old temples and ruins, so old and full of magic. I feel like a truer india has begun, though I dragged myself away from my beach hut, kicking and screaming. I must have strapped and unstrapped my backpack from the scooter like 12 times. But I finally went. Leave while the party's still hot, I guess.
More and more, as the towns get smaller, people want to have their picture taken with me, and the children all sit and watch me eat my thali. I've gotten quite used to it, and it's funnier than it is annoying really, except when huge groups of men follow you around when you wanna chill alone. I wish I had a tape recorder for all the conversations I've had. "where you from- japan konitchua, sexy lady! you like buy drum, come look. You like yoga? I guru, I show you where your chakras. Good price. Massage also- make you feel very best! Don't go him-he bad crook. Me very good!". But at the end of the day it's all about the peeps anyway, isn't it?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home